Sunday, March 15, 2009

Happy Sunday! Happy All Week! in 2,001,966 B.C.

This is only my second week of Kelly Sunday and already I'm missing a consecutive Sunday strip from 45 years ago. But there's lots of Walt Kelly to fill in. Kelly aficionados will know most of the stuff I Kelly post, but it's all fun to look at anytime for any reason, I say.

This cool Kelly self-portrait is from MacLean's Magazine of April 15, 1950

Every Kelly fanatic probably owns these two books, but I adore them and want them with me when I'm cremated (there are so many books I want with me then, that they'll have to put me and all the books in a boat, set it afire, and drift it out to sea).

Love that background detail!

Kelly's art, from the early 50s especially, is so cute and warm and cuddly and his satire was so sharp and gritty. Somehow he combines those qualities in this take on Senator Joseph McCarthy. Boy I love his spot drawings, perfect weighted lines and spotted blacks.

And this is a preview of what to expect from the Mars sequence, later down the line. There's an awful lot of scanning to do for that and I need to wrap up a lot of deadlines before I can get to it. But oh, I'm looking forward to it, it's so great to be able to zoom in on his great detail.

1 comment:

Booksteve said...

Can't wait! In the meantime, I just made that first Kelly image above my new PC wallpaper. Thanks!