Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strength of Man

'Strength of Man' was the premise of this limited-edition portfolio for select graphic artists to create specific drawings. That was a somewhat nebulous concept that allowed for artistic freedom. I guess so, since most of the artists drew whatever the heck they wanted. Here I'm only showing 6 of the 13 participating artists, and out of this group Will Eisner came closest to following directions, Moebius is my favorite of the batch, and Bill Sienkiewicz was the most honest for disregarding the premise. The artists personally signed each of their plates.







4 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

That's the kind of nebulous brief that can drive you crazy as an artist. I love how Eisner nailed it, though, and served it up with a heavy dose of irony.

Booksteve said...

Never seen this before. Thanks. Also, never cared much for George Pratt but his work here shows a strong Jeff Jones influence, highlighted by the fact that you have it just beneath the Jones piece (which is my favorite).

vollsticks said...

Wow! Lovely stuff, especially the Eisner and Sienkiewicz...

joe ackerman said...

that Jeff Jones plate is a beauty. & I AM partial to a bit of Kevin Nowlan every now and then, even if I can't figure out quite what a Post-Holocaust Amazon Princess Standing Watch with a Lead Pipe has got to do with anything. . .

nice post.